By M. O. Wise
A research of 1 of the Qumran texts, studying its features and authorship. the writer concludes that the Temple Scroll used to be an eschatalogical legislation e-book, composed round a hundred and fifty BC via `The instructor of Righteousness' and never a manufactured from the Qumran neighborhood.
Read Online or Download A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll from Qumran Cave 11 (Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization, No. 49) PDF
Similar sacred writings books
The entire, authoritative examine consultant to 1 of the best archaeological discoveries of all time -- the useless Sea Scrolls. This critical two-volume compendium of the lifeless Sea Scrolls includes newly edited English translations and summaries of all biblical and nonbiblical scrolls came across at Qumran.
As pointed out within the sub-title The Bhagavadgita is a scripture for the total of mankind,irrespective of one's faith or ethnic association. It bargains with everlasting verities with none slim theological or dogmatic presumptions that propogate credibility or sectarian hatred one of the readers. Human values are reconciled with transcendental values in each part of it really is teachings.
The Hevajra Tantras and teachings of the 'Path with Its Fruit' (lam 'bras) that originated in India were relevant practices of Tibetan tantric Buddhism for a millenium. The Tibetans translated 8 Hevajra transmissions with their tantras, commentaries, rituals, and directions and authored numerous scriptures within the context of the tantra and the 'Path with Its Fruit' that originated with the Indian Mahasiddha Virupa.
The lifeless Sea Scrolls, that have lengthy captured the general public mind's eye, at the moment are all to be had in central versions and obtainable translations. This e-book addresses the following degree of their research by means of elevating questions about how they need to be learn and studied. The essays amassed right here illustrate methods.
- The Value of Human Life: A Study of the Story of the Flood (Genesis 6-9)
- Medical Synonym Lists from Medieval Provence: Shem Tov ben Isaak of Tortosa: Sefer ha - Shimmush. Book 29 (Etudes Sur Le Judaisme Medieval)
- The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
- The Mahabharata, Volume 2: Book 2: The Book of Assembly; Book 3: The Book of the Forest
Additional resources for A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll from Qumran Cave 11 (Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization, No. 49)
80. Baumgarten holds the view that the rabbinic system, on which his argument is based, was the same as that of the earlier Pharisees. 81. J. C. Vanderkam, "The Temple Scroll and the Book of Jubilees," in Temple Scroll Studies, p. 214. 12 A CRITICAL STUDY OF THE TEMPLE SCROLL FROM QUMRAN CAVE 11 historian's knowledge of the TS influenced his classificatory scheme. " 83 Several scholars have written halakhic studies commenting on the contents of the TS seriatim. In "Studies in the Temple Scroll," Milgrom considered two of the scroll's particularly important ideas.
103. " See Yadin,"שמר האסיים בירושלים ומגילת המקדש," [The Essene Gate in Jerusalem and the Temple Scroll] Qadmoniot 5 (1972): 129-30; an English version of this article appears in Jerusalem Revealed: Archaeology in the Holy City 1968-1974, ed. Y. Yadin (Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society, 1975), pp. 90-91. On the city in general see Yadin's "The Holy City of the Temple Scroll," in Temples and High Places in Biblical Times, ed. A. Biran (Jerusalem: Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, 1981), p.
E. Thiering, Redating the Teacher of Righteousness (Sydney: Theological Explorations, 1979), p. 207 and "The Date of Composition of the Temple Scroll," in Temple Scroll Studies, pp. 99-120; and R. Eisenman, James the Just, pp. 87-94. 178. Yadin I, pp. 36 and 386-90. 179. This is the implication of E. Qimron's comments on 4QMMT in The Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls, Harvard Semitic Studies no. 29 (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1986), p. 117.
A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll from Qumran Cave 11 (Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization, No. 49) by M. O. Wise